The summer of 1946 was a momentous one in the history of European cinema. In the space of ten days, two new international festivals came to life and a third was reborn. On the evening of the 23rd of August, the Locarno Festival kicked off with a screening of Giacomo Gentilomo's "O sole mio" on the sloping lawn of the Grand Hotel.


1971: the first screen appears on the Piazza Grande. Inspired by the architect Livio Vacchini, it changes the face of the Festival forever.


The Piazza Grande, the home of cinema, welcomes up to 8000 spectators every night.


Previous Next

Nützliche Links

Follow us

© Locarno Festival
Impressum & Disclaimer